The Junior Hoops u7 Saints took on the Wilpshire Reds this Saturday in the ADJFL and this reporter is still trying to catch his breath and cross check his notes in a twenty five goal thriller that started at pace and never slowed down.

With a full squad to choose from Head Coach Dean Mc was able to keep his team fresh with regular subsitutions and it showed as the Saints were unrelenting in their attacking play. Playing on the right, Teddy combined wing wizardry with cool as ice finishing to set the Saints on their way with two quick goals in the first couple of minutes. Wilpshire were not to be outdone however and they hit back quickly before Teddy assisted by Oakley and Matthew added two more to his tally to stretch the Saints lead.

Again Wilpshire struck back twice to make it a single goal game before Leighton scored a quick fire double. The first was a hallmark predatory finish from the ‘back post bandit’ and just as this reporter was furiously scribbling down ‘goal’on his pad, Leighton popped up again, this time with a delightful drop of the shoulder to give himself a yard of space before curling a right footed finish inside the bottom corner.

With three minutes remaining in the first half the Saints poured forward again. Oscar who was at his tenacious best in the first half won the ball before striding out of defence and feeding Matthew down the left. A cheeky stepover later and Matthew was free and unselfishly squared the ball to Teddy who hit a first time strike from outside of the box into the bottom right hand corner. Not to be outdone, Leighton then rounded off his hatrick with smart finish feeding off the bits in the box.

And breathe!!!

Rather than easing their way into the second half, the Saints kept up the pressure with Oakley getting in on the scoring act. Straight from Wilpshire’s kick off Oakley pressed and harried the Reds midfield winning the ball on the half way line before unleashing a thunderbolt with his left foot hammer that left the keeper stranded. What a way to get your first goal of the game.

What followed was a series of fast flowing moves. The first saw Huey free Teddy to score his sixth of the game before Teddy again broke down the right riding two defenders challenges and slotting home when one on one with the Wilpshire keeper. Next Matthew played an early ball to Oakley who freed Seb to be one on one with the last defender. Seb beat his man with a cheeky Iniesta to leave bearing down on the keeper. Rather than taking the shot on himself he squared it to Teddy who finished with his left.

Wilpshire kept coming and scored three great goals of their own before Oakley added two more to his tally assisted both times assisted by the midfield powerhouse Alfie.

With two minutes remaining on the clock Seb got in on the act with two clever finishes sandwiched either side of a strike from Wilpshire. The first came via Oscar playing in a more advanced role breaking down the right and crossing the ball to be met by Seb with a sweet left footed volley and the second was a jaw dropping overhead kick after Matthew’s shot was deflected up in the air by the Wilpshire defender.

A goal every 96 seconds – now that is what this reporter calls entertainment!

C’mon the Hoops.