Junior Hoops u7 Saints vs. Wilpshire Reds u7

The Junior Hoops u7 Saints started the new year as they finished the last with a confident performance at a windswept Leisure Box this Saturday in the return of the ADJFL.

A lightning quick start was led by a powerful performance in midfield by Oakley who opened the scoring after 3 mins with a calm close range follow up after a delightful double save by the Wilpshire keeper. The lead soon became two with Matthew played through one on one by Seb. Striding out of defence, Seb played a defence splitting pass that Matthew took in his slide before finishing with aplomb from 5 yards.

Seb then scored from distance before Leighton got in on the act. Strong work from Teddy down the right hand wing created space in the middle and following a ball roll past his defender, Leighton opened his account for 2020 with a clinical finish.

The Saints weren’t going to have it all their own way though and after a Teddy set up Seb, Wilpshire battled back to set themselves up for the second half when they would have the wind behind them.

With Wilpshire pressing smart handling from Huey kept the reds at Bay before Oakley strode forward from midfield breaking two tackles en route to a finish that almost ripped through the back of the net. Not to be outdone, Matthew showcased electric feet with a perfect Maradona to get away from his defender before showing the keeper the eyes and committing him and then finishing in the far right corner.

With Wilspshire throwing caution to the wind, Huey now marshalling the defence made a well timed tackle before freeing Alfie down the right. Holding off two defenders, Alfie played an enticing ball across the goal mouth and out of nowhere the Bandit appeared to slam home from an inch out – some things never change!

Wilpshire then got the goal their perseverance deserved before Matthew capped off his fine performance and securing his hat-trick and Teddy slammed home a penalty to get the goal his all round play merited.

Wilpshire fought back again with a late goal that almost became a third with some significant late pressure before the referee blew to give the Saints a strong start to 2020.

C’mon the Hoops!